Classics

Backward Glances
25 Years Ago Press-News Journal July 8, 1993 The flood of 1993 will go in the record books. Lock 20 in Canton reported the tailwater Tuesday morning at 24.50 - the...
Pictured is the Ridge Garage on Main Street in LaGrange in 1973 after flood waters damaged the building and the Solter’s Superette building. The buildings collapsed, therefore ending an era. A new hardware store was built in the grocery store lot and was owned by John Solter, then was occupied by the Town and Country Bank for years, until last fall when a new facility was built on the west side of Main Street. Yesteryear Photo


Backward Glances
95 YEARS AGO The Lewis County Journal June 29, 1923 Mrs. G. R. Primrose, 73, died June 16 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Roy Millard at Gilead. Andrew Cissna,...
Backward Glances
45 YEARS AGO The Press-News Journal June 21, 1973 The Office of Aging reports that ten new Dodge buses have been delivered to the O.A.T.S office at Columbia. Just...
From the History of LaGrange book, this article was first printed in the Quincy Herald Whig in August of 1948. It read: Sam Fish after raising the top of his car to protect him from the hot July sun, buckles the straps to the dash board, preparatory to taking a pleasure spin in his 1906 model Sears automobile. An Old Memory of Downtown LaGrange
Sam Fish was a staple of downtown LaGrange for many years and the Fish siblings, children of the late Freed and Norma Fish and grandchildren of the...


Backward Glances
45 Years Ago The Canton Press-News May, 1973 One hundred and two members of the 1973 graduating class at Highland High School received diplomas at Commencement exercises...
Yesteryear Photo
Wilma Chipman and her sister, Mae Mathes all dressed up in period costume  with Wilma's team of ponies and buggy for the Bicentennial parade. In...


Backward Glances
45 Years Ago The Canton Press-News May, 1973 One hundred and two members of the 1973 graduating class at Highland High School received diplomas at Commencement exercises...
School and building officials inspect blueprints for Lewis County C-1 high school construction (colorized, June 26, 1969). School and building officials inspect blueprints for Lewis County...


Backward Glances
45 Years Ago The Canton Press-News May, 1973 Many residents of the Lewis County area are learning what an important contribution the Canton Ferry can make to the...
Yesteryear Photo
This photograph, taken in 1936, shows children at the Buckhorn school, a one room schoolhouse, northwest of Maywood, and east of Durham.  Pictured...


Backward Glances
65 Years Ago The Canton Record February, 1933 Ray and Bernard English have purchased the Sinclair service station at Fourth and Washington Streets from Eddie Franks...